Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Creative Journal - The Artist's Necessity

Okay, so you have a really great idea. Something has inspired you, given you a brilliant new thought, and you need to record it so you can come back to it later. To me, one of the most important things when it comes to creativity is making sure you are able to remember the ideas that come to you. You may have had the greatest idea, but it's not gonna do you any good if you forget it. I've used a number of things for this. I've made notes on my cell phone, on my laptop, on scraps of paper lying around, and in my school notebooks. But the biggest favor I did myself was buying a notebook specifically for my ideas.

My Moleskine creative journal.

I splurged a little and went for a Moleskine notebook, purely for the hipster factor (check out their website here.) But I am really happy with my purchase. I'm not really a daily journal kind of guy (you know, other than blogging...) but this is something different. When I get an idea for a movie, tv show, piece of music, or really any creative thought that crosses through my mind, I write it down in this notebook. Another thing I've taken to doing is writing down my dreams in here. Hey, you never know when something you dreamed about is gonna pay off creatively down the road.

It might be only a tiny bit of detail, or it could be a whole plot outline, but it helps having someplace to write it down. In the notebook it can be recalled, expanded upon, or, if need be, crossed out later on. Although I would warn never to cross any idea out, because you might change your mind about it later.

Hey, don't take this idea, by the way. I have proof that it belongs to me.

Unfortunately, as much as I try, sometimes I still struggle with carrying this notebook everywhere I go. I try, but I don't think it's ingrained in my mind yet to grab it when I leave my room. As a result, there have been a few moments when I really could have used it, and I have had to substitute the notebook with my phone. And let's face it, it's just not the same.

So do yourself a favor, and get yourself a notebook! It doesn't have to be Moleskine, it could be a composition notebook, a notepad, or a spiral notebook, but you won't regret it. What you will regret is letting the next great idea you have pass into obscurity.

I'll be posting another one of my videos tomorrow along with some behind the scenes scoop, so check back in then!

No comments:

Post a Comment