Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Music Tuesdays: MuteMath - "Odd Soul"

All right, here we go, here's what music is inspiring me this week: a band called MuteMath.

I first heard of MuteMath when I went to see The Fray in concert (go figure, huh?). Mute Math was the opening act, and they were incredible. The band's live shows are extremely energetic and and the music is phenomenal. So after the concert I picked up their first self-titled album and was blown away. I listened from start to finish over and over. A few years later I picked up their second, entitled "Armistice."

Last Tuesday, October 4, MuteMath released their third album, "Odd Soul," and their streak of genius continues. A few days before the release I attended a concert at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor where the band performed a few songs from their new album as well as favorites from their back-catalogue. I even got a picture with the drummer!

Us with drummer Darren King

Lead singer Paul Meany
After the concert I was even more excited for the new album, and when I finally got my hands on it, I was not disappointed. There is not a single bad song on "Odd Soul." Sure, I may be partial to a few, but I'm the type of music listener who needs to listen to complete albums at a time rather than random songs, and this album is perfectly suited for it. The sound on the album is very soulful and has been likened to the Black Keys, but that is merely one layer to these tracks. There is so much artistry going on in each individual song and in the album as a whole that it blows me away. This might be my favorite album of the year so far.

So yes, get your hands on this album, hopefully in a way that supports the band! Listen to it from start to finish, and fall in love with MuteMath. To get you started, here are the two singles from "Odd Soul," although there is much more to the album than these: "Odd Soul" and "Blood Pressure."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment